Re: where to start?

also sprach dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> [2002.02.19.0355 +0100]:
> I've lurked on this list for a little while.  Not too much traffic,
> and (so far) not very intelligible to me.  Anyways, I joined the list
> since I'm interested in IPv6.

right on!

> What I'm wondering is how I would go about trying to use IPv6.  I know
> the first step is to include it in my kernel.  I don't know where to
> go after that.

without trying to be a bitch:

  http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/

you'll have to excuse his english at times, i am in the process of
translating it proper (peter bieringer sits right next to me at work).

however, you'll need to forget most of IPv4 and understand IPv6 first
before you can even try...

> Surely I will need to get a v6 IP address from
> somewhere and I would need to have other host(s) on the network also
> using IPv6.

you already have an IPv6 for each of those. probably even multiple
ones.

> (I'm familiar with the 5-layer model of the Internet)

i know a 4 and a 7 layer model: DoD's TCP/IP and ISO/OSI respectively.
which one is yours? or are you simply using ISO/OSI and ignoring
dara link and physical, the lowest two? that would be completely
acceptable btw, but it's not the 5-layer model of the internet.

> Are there publicly accessible IPv6 hosts (ie web sites and the like)?
> It seems logical that I would need to tunnel the IPv6 over IPv4 to get
> the packets through my ISP to the remote host.

how's your german?

  http://www.join.uni-muenster.de/
    they are probably the best known.

but
  http://www.freenet6.net/
    is probably better for you since you are a private perso.

> Also, what are the "private" IPv6 address ranges?  Since I currently
> have a second debian box on my LAN I could probably make the two of
> them use IPv6 internally.

read bieringer's howto.

> Say, here's a thought : couldn't all IPv4 addresses be valid IPv6
> addresses if they are left-padded with zeroes?

they almost are.

> Is there a possibility that people/providers/whoever will actually
> do that at all, essentially giving me an IPv6 address with no extra
> cost/effort on my part?

yes. freenet6 or join.

the remote desktop feature of windows xp is really nice (and
*novel*!). as a micro$oft consultant can *remotely* disable the
personal firewall and control the system. we'll ignore the fact that
this tampering with the firewall is not logged, and more importantly,
that the firewall isn't restored when the clowns from redmod are done
with their job.