Re: where to start?

Thanks martin and Tony for your pointers and suggestions.  I have my
IPv6 enabled kernel, and I get link-local addresses on eth[01]
automagically.  I can ping the loopback interface or the link-local
ones just fine.  I couldn't ping www.kame.net or any other IPv6 host,
even though I followed the directions in the howtos.  Using
traceroute6 I saw that my packets crossed one hop and got no further.
See more comments further down.

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 09:43:04AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
| also sprach dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> [2002.02.19.0355 +0100]:

| > What I'm wondering is how I would go about trying to use IPv6.  I know
| > the first step is to include it in my kernel.  I don't know where to
| > go after that.
|
| without trying to be a bitch:
|
|   http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/
|
| you'll have to excuse his english at times, i am in the process of
| translating it proper (peter bieringer sits right next to me at work).

That's cool.  His english isn't perfect, but it isn't bad either.
Very comprehensible.

| however, you'll need to forget most of IPv4 and understand IPv6 first
| before you can even try...

It doesn't sound like it so far.  Maybe I just don't know enough IPv4
for it to really trip me up.

| > Surely I will need to get a v6 IP address from
| > somewhere and I would need to have other host(s) on the network also
| > using IPv6.
|
| you already have an IPv6 for each of those. probably even multiple
| ones.

That's cool.  I like that :-).

| > (I'm familiar with the 5-layer model of the Internet)
|
| i know a 4 and a 7 layer model: DoD's TCP/IP and ISO/OSI respectively.
| which one is yours? or are you simply using ISO/OSI and ignoring
| dara link and physical, the lowest two? that would be completely
| acceptable btw, but it's not the 5-layer model of the internet.

It's the ISO/OSI model with the two layers below the top one removed.
Like this :

1)  physical     (wire)
2)  link         (ethernet)
3)  network      (IP)
4)  transport    (TCP or UDP)
5)  application  (HTTP, SSH, FTP, etc)

| > Are there publicly accessible IPv6 hosts (ie web sites and the like)?
| > It seems logical that I would need to tunnel the IPv6 over IPv4 to get
| > the packets through my ISP to the remote host.
|
| how's your german?

Uh, ... hamburg frankfurt sauerkraut sandwich ... that doesn't
count, does it?

| but
|   http://www.freenet6.net/
|     is probably better for you since you are a private perso.

| > Is there a possibility that people/providers/whoever will actually
| > do that at all, essentially giving me an IPv6 address with no extra
| > cost/effort on my part?
|
| yes. freenet6 or join.

Ok, I browsed www.freenet6.net a bit.  It looks like they have a
service akin to the ddts service.  I haven't signed up yet, but I
installed the 'freenet6' package.  Now I can ping6 www.kame.net.  I
can also browse it with galeon and get the animated turtle (before it
would just timeout even though I could IPv4-ping it).  Just to test
it, I purged the freenet6 package and couldn't ping6 anymore.  A
reinstall and I can ping6.  I wonder what it does that makes it work ...
(oh, yeah, I didn't configure 'freenet6' at all).

Most of it is quite clear, though I'm not sure about the sit[01]
devices and the details of the routing tables.  That's where I need to
look next, when I get some time to spend on it.  However, if anyone
feels the desire to explain it here, I'm all ears :-).

-D

--

Microsoft: "Windows NT 4.0 now has the same user-interface as Windows 95"
    Windows 95: "Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot"