where to start?

I've lurked on this list for a little while.  Not too much traffic,
and (so far) not very intelligible to me.  Anyways, I joined the list
since I'm interested in IPv6.

What I'm wondering is how I would go about trying to use IPv6.  I know
the first step is to include it in my kernel.  I don't know where to
go after that.  Surely I will need to get a v6 IP address from
somewhere and I would need to have other host(s) on the network also
using IPv6.  (I'm familiar with the 5-layer model of the Internet)
Are there publicly accessible IPv6 hosts (ie web sites and the like)?
It seems logical that I would need to tunnel the IPv6 over IPv4 to get
the packets through my ISP to the remote host.

Also, what are the "private" IPv6 address ranges?  Since I currently
have a second debian box on my LAN I could probably make the two of
them use IPv6 internally.

Say, here's a thought : couldn't all IPv4 addresses be valid IPv6
addresses if they are left-padded with zeroes?  Is there a possibility
that people/providers/whoever will actually do that at all,
essentially giving me an IPv6 address with no extra cost/effort on my
part?

TIA, HAND,
-D

--