Re: Newbie help / Project status query

Jason Williams wrote:

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 09:55:27AM +0100, Fabbione wrote:

	 I don't think that the mantainers will be happy since
ping6 is present in iputils-ping in the main repository.
Same for traceroute6... just install iputils-traceroute.
The last one will also provide tracepath and tracepath6.

Oh, fair enough. Why are there two different packages for ping, and why does
netkit-ping have "ipv6" in the version number if it doesn't support ipv6?
That's a little misleading...

For that matter, why are ping and ping6 two different programs?

Seems to work now, anyway, so cheers :-)

Hi Im not sure 100% since Im too lazy to read documentation for a ping
but the iputils-ping include both ping and ping6 and conflicts with
netkit-ping. AFAIK the source codes come from different parts
(talking about ping.. something like traceroute, traceroute-nanog)
I hounestly would also like one utils but the only reason I can see
is that for instance pinging www.something.org can be resolved both
in ipv6 and ipv4. So which one should be used??? then to switch
you will always need a flag... so here are ping and ping6
(same as traceroute I mean..)

Fabbione

--
Debian GNU/Linux Unstable Kernel 2.4.13