Re: e1000 problems

Steffen Prohaska <prohaska@zib.de> writes:

> It's a new zx2000 machine, which arrived just 2 days ago.

Bingo!

The HP zx2000 absolutely needs a newer e1000 driver than the kernel on the
iso you tried to use contains.

> Well, not that easy without net. I thought it could work to place an
> appropriate vmlinuz into EFI/debian on the fat partition the system is
> booting from?

Yes, it should.  For future reference, a .deb is actually an 'ar' archive,
and the files it delivers are contained in the data.tar.gz file within the ar.
So, you can unpack a .deb to extract the contents on any Unix-like system.

The dependencies aren't really required for what you're trying to do, so you
should be able to extract just the vmlinuz file, drop it into \EFI\DEBIAN in
the FAT partition, and be good to go.  To make it easy for you, I've placed
the known-good vmlinuz file that my zx2000 boots from on ftp.gag.com in the
debian/ia64 subdirectory.  Feel free to retrieve that if you don't have an
easy way to unpack the .deb on some other system yourself.

Again, my apologies for the trouble you're having.  The kernel on both the
Debian 3.0 install isos and on the smaller isos pointed to by the ports page
is too old to work correctly on an HP zx2000.  I'll fix that soon.

Bdale