Re: e1000 problems

> > Everything seems to work fine except for the e1000 card.
>
> You didn't say what kind of system you're trying to install on, but the version
> of e1000 chip in some recent HP Itanium 2 systems needs a fresher version of
> the device driver, which is present in the 2.4.19 kernel image packages in
> Debian unstable, which are also used for the "HP Enablement Kit for Linux" CD
> that gets sent along with new systems purchased for use with Linux.

That might be the point. It's a new zx2000 machine, which arrived just 2 days ago.

> If you have a system mostly working except for the network interface, it might
> be as simple as installing a new kernel image to resolve your problem.  If
> you're still stuck trying to install, let me know and I'll try to get you a
> fresher iso to work with.

Well, not that easy without net. I thought it could work to place an appropriate vmlinuz into EFI/debian on the fat partition the system is booting from? I could use win to do the job, but I had to get a vmlinuz.
I tried to download the

kernel-image-2.4.19-itanium.deb

placed it on a FAT partition and tried to install it onto the base debian which is already running. But this depends on initrd-tools_0.1.36_all.deb which depends on .... So this procedure is perhaps not the right way to continue. Any ideas? BTW, I'm not very common with debian. Watched other people installing it one or two times and now at least that there is dpkg and apt-get and things like that, but not much more.

	Regards,

		Steffen

| Zuse Institute Berlin       |  E-Mail: prohaska@zib.de      |
| Takustrasse 7               |  Phone:  +49 (30) 841 85-337  |
| D-14195 Berlin-Dahlem       |  FAX:    +49 (30) 841 85-107  |
| Germany                     |  URL:    http://www.zib.de    |
| PGP Public Key: http://www.zib.de/prohaska/prohaska.pgp     |