Re: e1000 problems

prohaska@zib.de (Steffen Prohaska) writes:

> We tried to get debian installed with the
> http://gluck.debian.org/ia64/ia64-net-20020506.iso

Ouch.  That's old.

Thanks for pointing out that we could stand to freshen the stuff pointed to
by the www.debian.org/ports/ia64 page.  /o\

> Everything seems to work fine except for the e1000 card.

You didn't say what kind of system you're trying to install on, but the version
of e1000 chip in some recent HP Itanium 2 systems needs a fresher version of
the device driver, which is present in the 2.4.19 kernel image packages in
Debian unstable, which are also used for the "HP Enablement Kit for Linux" CD
that gets sent along with new systems purchased for use with Linux.

If you have a system mostly working except for the network interface, it might
be as simple as installing a new kernel image to resolve your problem.  If
you're still stuck trying to install, let me know and I'll try to get you a
fresher iso to work with.

> If you arrive at the step 'make bootable' a brief hint, that the procedure
> is perfeclty save and only adds another line to the EFI shell would be
> helpful.

Well, it does a little more than that typically, I think.  The elilo bootloader
and kernel image get put into the FAT partition you pick as a system partition.
However, the approach to bootstrapping IPF systems is certainly less prone to
having one thing break another than on i386 systems...  ;-)

Bdale