e1000 problems

Hello,
We tried to get debian installed with the http://gluck.debian.org/ia64/ia64-net-20020506.iso

Everything seems to work fine except for the e1000 card. It is not a hardware problem. The card is working perferctly under Win64 with exactly the same setup. I remember that I had similar problems and solved them by switching off autonegotiation and explicitely forcing a specific link speed. The problem with the iso is, the e1000 driver is compiled into the kernel. Normally you could specify options as module options and as far as I figured things out, it's not possible to set any bootoptions for the e1000 driver.

Question: Is there a way to switch off autonegotiation. Is there a tool like ethtool on the boot image?

Proposal: It would be a good idea, to be able to set options, either by including some tool, or by compiling the driver as a module.

Another short remark:
If you arrive at the step 'make bootable' a brief hint, that the procedure is perfeclty save and only adds another line to the EFI shell would be helpful. I was a little bit concerned because on i386 systems this means installing lilo and, therefore, loosing your boot sector. I guess more people are not that familiar with the EFI stuff. Some explanation on whats happening would be really helpful at this point.

	Regards,

		Steffen Prohaska

| Zuse Institute Berlin       |  E-Mail: prohaska@zib.de      |
| Takustrasse 7               |  Phone:  +49 (30) 841 85-337  |
| D-14195 Berlin-Dahlem       |  FAX:    +49 (30) 841 85-107  |
| Germany                     |  URL:    http://www.zib.de    |
| PGP Public Key: http://www.zib.de/prohaska/prohaska.pgp     |