Re: german translation of Debian (was: Problems in accessing the subversion repository)

On Ma, 18 feb 14, 22:48:38, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 02:02:27PM +0100, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> > It is like 10 years that you're saying this, you know, Marc? ;-)
>
> Thinks have not improved, I hate saying.
>
> I always had the impression that train wrecks like "Beim Auflösen von
> ... ist etwas Schlimmes passiert" resulted from a word-by-word
> translation of a humorous English message. Humorous English messages
> are fine in software since English-speaking culture is much different
> from German-speaking culture (we go to the cellar to laugh).
>
> msgid "System error resolving '%s:%s'"
> msgstr "Beim Auflösen von »%s:%s« ist etwas Schlimmes passiert (%i - %s)."
>
> But things are even worse: The English message is fully businesslike
> and was translated to a completely inappropriate German "joke" instead
> of the better "Systemfehler beim Auflösen von...". I guess this was
> done because "system error" is not in the word list.

It feels to me like someone removed the fuzzy flag without adapting the
translation. FWIW (I'm not a native German speaker and not involved with
German translations) you should probably report that as a (minor) bug.

Kind regards,
Andrei