Re: What about DDTSS do you (dis)like?

On 10 June 2011 07:15, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> This pertains to the DDTP, ie what's lying below the DDTSS....
>
> This is something that is increadibly missing to the DDTP: the concept
> of "fuzzy" translation of paragraphs. That was one of the motivations
> for trying to push something based on gettext.

Well, this is something the DDTSS could do better once it has direct
access to the DB, it can see the older descriptions. However, I've got
no idea what "fuzziness" really means. I can however think of some
metrics though, like:

- If the previous description differs from this by less than 5
characters, it's probably a match. The problem is that you won't pick
up (e.g.) version changes then.
- Whitespace only changes should be trivial, should this be an automatic accept?

Or is it just a case of, like you suggest below, that you have the
option of selecting near matches, to say I want to see all packages
where the changes are <10 characters, with the thought that you could
translate these really quickly.

> This logic could be in the DDTSS, probably. However, it means
> "remembering" things. What could be done in some way could be giving a
> higher priority to packages that have a few paragraphs already
> translated (as the DDTP is paragraph-based, translating a paragraph
> that's common to several packages automatically "populates" all
> packages that share this paragraph.

This should be doable. When a description is loaded, load for fuzzy
matches and if it's found plug the translation in with the prefix
<fuzzy>.

I haven't been able to find any info on how fuzzy matching in gettext
works, if it's just Levenstein distance, then it should be easy to
implement.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/