Re: Call for translations: Squeeze release announcement

(Redirect followups regarding Chinese translations to debian-l10n-chinese)

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 01:00:27PM +0100, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
[..]
>> I'm sorry, but I have no idea how that actually works.  All I know is,
>> that Debian's website cvs has a folder "chinese" and if I placing the
>> files I got submitted and calling "make" results in the creation of
>> several files, which I can't read ;)  I'm really sorry.
>
> Well Makefile tells us how they do:
>
> B5TOGB = /usr/bin/iconv -f big5 -t gb2312
> This is simple code point translation.  Good enough as starter but
> usually not good enough.

Yes, and actually there are $(TOCN), $(TOHK), $(TOTW) to fix the
translation after the simple conversion.

> I thought we need human to proof them to be perfect.

If the tools cannot handle the conversion perfectly, we always can
fallback to the slice(1) tags to define the correct terms.  Many
translations created before the existing of auto conversion scripts are
using this method.

> When I translated zh-cn to zh-tw for maint-guide, I used "opencc
> (unstable then, wheezy version)" as the base translaton tool and my
> custom sed script with the help of koster@debian.org (native chinese
> speaker).  (I do not speak chinese but can guess meaning of chinese
> text.)  This uses some huristics to close gap in their character/font
> usages. (This is done in UTF-8)

Chinese web team are migrating the translations to UTF-8 based, and we
will adopt opencc when we can install it on the build machine.

> If Chinese web team think about local word choice preference differences
> such as:
> (substitute auto translated word from zh-cn to zh-tw --> better word in zh-tw):
>
> s/軟件包/套件/g
> s/軟件/軟體/g
>
> Please do not forget to use this cn2tw.sed conversion as good starting
> point until opencc becomes smart enough to do these too.  It is in the
> maint-guide source package.

Thanks! It will be merged :)

>> I added our debian-www mailing list to the CC, maybe they can explain
>> how that helps, and how you can help, if you interested.
>
> Osamu

Kanru

--
A badly written book is only a blunder. A bad translation of a good
book is a crime.