Re: Call for translations: Squeeze release announcement

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 01:00:27PM +0100, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am 08.02.2011 12:54, schrieb Dove Young:
> > Wow, its cool! The one in following URL is Simplified Chinese.  Thanks
> > for Alexander.
> >
> > Does it works for any Chinese encoding? I mean if someone check in a
> > Simplified Chinese file for the next/later release in the future,
> > would it be generated automatically to Traditional Chinese either? If
> > its true, it sounds great.
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110205a.zh-cn.html
>
> I'm sorry, but I have no idea how that actually works.  All I know is,
> that Debian's website cvs has a folder "chinese" and if I placing the
> files I got submitted and calling "make" results in the creation of
> several files, which I can't read ;)  I'm really sorry.

Well Makefile tells us how they do:

B5TOGB = /usr/bin/iconv -f big5 -t gb2312
This is simple code point translation.  Good enough as starter but
usually not good enough.

I thought we need human to proof them to be perfect.

When I translated zh-cn to zh-tw for maint-guide, I used "opencc
(unstable then, wheezy version)" as the base translaton tool and my
custom sed script with the help of koster@debian.org (native chinese
speaker).  (I do not speak chinese but can guess meaning of chinese
text.)  This uses some huristics to close gap in their character/font
usages. (This is done in UTF-8)

If Chinese web team think about local word choice preference differences
such as:
(substitute auto translated word from zh-cn to zh-tw --> better word in zh-tw):

s/軟件包/套件/g
s/軟件/軟體/g

Please do not forget to use this cn2tw.sed conversion as good starting
point until opencc becomes smart enough to do these too.  It is in the
maint-guide source package.

> I added our debian-www mailing list to the CC, maybe they can explain
> how that helps, and how you can help, if you interested.

Osamu