Re: svn write access for release-notes

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:14:03AM +0100, Simon Paillard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:25:54AM +0200, Stan Ioan-Eugen wrote:
> > Solved. I have write access, thanks to Andrei Popescu's help. The
> > documentation was not very clear.
>
> I though pointing to http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth at the top of
> http://www.debian.org/doc/cvs would be sufficient..

It goes like:

| == Obtaining update privileges ==
|
| Update privileges are available to anyone who wishes to participate in
| writing the manuals. We generally request that you have submitted a
| couple of useful patches first.
|
| To obtain update privileges, you need to send a request to the Debian
| documentation mailing list. Please explain why you need access. Please
| indicate your Alioth login name. Once your request is approved, you'll
| be part of the ddp project (and Unix group) on Alioth.

It is good to send mail to debian-doc mailing list but more practically,
it is good idea to sign-up to project via web page.
  https://alioth.debian.org/projects/ddp/

When doing so, I think followings needs to be provided:
 * people needs to write in English (I have seen some other languages)
 * people need to to explain why you need access.
 * people need to to explain why you can claim you qualify for it.

If it is too much to write in web form, you post these to debian-doc
mailing list and mention there as "See debian-doc ML".  People has send
me request just stating "I want to join ... blah..." .  It has been
difficult for me.

> > It should state that you need to upload the ssh key to your alioth account
> > and to be a member of ddp to gain update privileges. These are sufficient
> > conditions.
>
> If by upload you mean ssh-copy-id or manual copy of the key, it won't work for
> a long time, see http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Svn

This URL may be good to add there.

Maybe, http://www.debian.org/doc/cvs#obtaining needs some updates.  Any
volunteer who can come up with text?

> http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/SSH#InstallingSSHkeys
>
> You must install SSH keys via the FusionForge web interface:
> http://alioth.debian.org/account/

This is important :-)