Re: [D-I] Please test Debian Installer with console-setup (3rd version)

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 06:47:00AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:

> > One of the first steps in d-i was this (look at the comments with "<--"):
> > --8<---- (1)
> > Please select the layout matching the keyboard for this machine. <--
> > english string
> >
> > Keyboard layout:              <-- english string
>
> Same for French. Weird, given that these strings are translated.

Actualy they are not.  I changed the string of console-setup/varian the
last moment.  The previous text was

 There is more than one possible keyboard layout with the origin you selected.
 Please select the layout matching the keyboard for this machine.

and now it is simply

 Please select the layout matching the keyboard for this machine.

> > After downloading something (perhaps the base system?), this popped up:
> > --8<---- (2)
> > [!!] Configurazione in corso di console-setup <-- translated: "Running
> > translation of console-setup"
> >
> > Origine della tastiera: <-- translated: "Keyboard origin:"
> > ... <-- a lot of choices
>
> Yeah...:-(
>
> It means that console-setup is reconfigured on the base system without
> keeping choices picked in the udeb..... That's a bug.
>
> > At the _first_ boot, before the "Setting the system clock." message, I got
> > --8<---- (3)
> > WARNING: undefined kernel key code for 153
> > WARNING: undefined kernel key code for 160
> > WARNING: undefined kernel key code for 162
> > ... <- other messages with other numbers
> > WARNING: undefined kernel key code for 245
>
> I'm not sure about this one....

These both are not really bugs.  They are consequences from tesging
having an old version of console-setup.

> > At the console (at every boot), all keys of the keyboard are working,
> > except for characters "ì" and "ò", that are printed as rhombus (I
> > don't know if I chose the wrong keyboard layout for qemu...).
>
> Where are these keys located on a standard italian keyboard layout?

Ahh!  I thought that 1.40 was at last a good version of console-setup
but there were too many changes so new bugs were inevitable... :)

There is a bug in the preseeding code of the udeb that causes
/etc/default/console-setup to include the following setting:

CODESET="Arabic"

Anton Zinoviev