Re: Pootle status

Quoting Clytie Siddall (clytie@riverland.net.au):

> I think it would be a good idea not to include the iso-codes files not
> used in the installer, especially now another 7000-odd strings have been
> added in iso_639_3. It will take teams a while to catch up with those. A
> lot of untranslated strings can be discouraging for teams with low
> resources, while those nearly-complete percentages tempt you in for "just
> another few minutes" of translation before bedtime/meals/work. ;)

iso-codes switched to git and I am unable to do a partial checkout
(only iso_3166) which is what I was doing earlier when it was using
SVN. This is maybe my own technical limitation, though.

On the other hand, I'm again not entirely enthousiast in keeping this
"Debian Installer" project which is indeed a collection of various
translation tasks for several packages and software.

Of course, they are put together because they are in some way related
to the installation of Debian but:
- this is less and less true (for instance packages in level 5 and 4 have
  nearly nothing to do with the installation of Debian anymore)
- this is confusing

So, really, what I would like to end up is:

- Debian Installer: the real "core" D-I
- tasksel
- iso-codes
- dpkg
etc.

...and dropping debconf-only translations (exim4, console-data, etc.)
at least for the moment....until a more general solution is
found/built to allow translators to work on them directly from Pootle
and have the result committed somewhere for maintainers to use it.