Re: fwknop 1.9.7-3: Please translate debconf PO for the package fwknop

Hello,
On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 07:04:15AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> I recommend either KBabel or gtranslator.
>
> Using vi|vim without the dedicated PO mode is strongly
> discouraged. I can't say anything about the PO mode of vim that seems
> used by some translators.

Me being one of those: If you heavily use vim *and* have the po mode
installed *and* know your basics about po files then I would suggest
using vim for translation work. If any of these three fail you should
work with those programmes mentioned above, really. There is no
problem in switching later, of course.

> And, again and again, all such errors are easily spotted by using
> msgfmt as I pointed in the answer to "vince".

Yes, even if you have some experience (and especially if you don't):
Run msgfmt on your file before you send it, and send it first to your
language team for proofreading, and *then* submit it to the
maintainer[1]. Using your eyes only is not very reliable, I know this by
quite some experience, and the team will lead you through all the
details which make up a good and consistent translation as well.

Greetings

            Helge

[1] I started out by skipping both steps, but by experience I include
    them now almost always. Usually I add a run of aspell inbetween as
    well.