Re: Request for translation: new webpages for etch-and-a-half release

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 05:24:05PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> On 10/07/2008, at 2:22 AM, Frans Pop wrote:
> >It would be great to have translations of these pages already in

> >New/updated pages are:
> >- releases/etch/etchnhalf.wml (new)
> >- releases/etch/debian-installer/etchnhalf.wml (new)
> >- releases/etch/debian-installer/index.wml (added link + other
> >changes)
> >
> >Not yet updated, but may get a new link to pages above:
> >- releases/etch/index.wml
>
> Sorry, but I haven't translated Debian webpages before. Are there
> guidelines? Or do we just grab the HTML source, translate and email
> the result?

HTML is generated from WML files. See
http://www.debian.org/devel/website/
for details.

I suggest you read these pages and start translating the most important
pages, notable the main index page.

> It would really help if we had webpages available in PO format. The

Reusable texts are handled through PO files
(english/po/), all other text needs to be translated only once.
There is also a nice statistics page available for all translations.

Heh? See http://www.debian.org/devel/website/stats/

> format. I have found that webpages I've translated in the past have
> become out-of-date without me realizing, and it's too difficult to try
> and keep track of them.

It's no problem to establish a cron job which monitors website and sends
you a mail once a page is outdated!

Please start with one or two important WML pages, send us the
translation and we will guide you ...

Jens