Re: Intent to NMU pam to fix pending po-debconf l10n bugs

Quoting Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org):

> Bug #470096 is a bug regarding an upstream translation.  You can NMU for
> this if you like; my current policy is to not add at all to my upstream
> patch load for pam because I'm lagging behind upstream releases (thanks in
> part to their insistence on using CVS) and already have a significant number
> of patches that need to be merged, so I will probably ignore this NMU
> altogether (as opposed to acknowledging it) as I continue to work on the
> upstream merge.

OK, I understand. I used #470096 as reference because this was the
oldest l10n-tagged bug report (indeed, not exactly: #446549 is older
and also for upstream l10n).

So, well, if we go the way of an l10n upload (proposing an NMU is my
standard process but I indeed knew that you're one of the maintainers,
that you're active and that you care about l10n, Steve....so I knew
this would certainly turn into an l10n upload or something), we can
focus it on Debian-specific stuff.

I even know you're working to re-converge with upstream, indeed. WRT
l10n I wonder what is upstream using. I had a brief look at the French
translation and, apart from finding that it is not complete, I found
no useful reference for a translator:

"Last-Translator: Novell Language <language@novell.com>\n"
"Language-Team: Novell Language <language@novell.com>\n"

The same stands for several upstream translations: de, es, hu, it, ja,
pt_BR, zh_CN, zh_TW

> So the best way to ensure that this bug remains fixed is to make sure this
> patch gets applied upstream so that it's available when I merge from there.

Actualy, wrt #470096 and #446549, I treated them as quilt patches to
better integrate with your build system (I can send the patches to the
BTS).

Still, I wonder: will lenny have 0.99.7.1 ?

If so, we could at least make an l10n update round for upstream
translations so that translations are complete. Most are 4f6u and I
find messages like the following to be fuzzy:

#: modules/pam_unix/pam_unix_acct.c:323 modules/pam_unix/pam_unix_acct.c:330
#, fuzzy, c-format
msgid "Warning: your password will expire in %d day"
msgid_plural "Warning: your password will expire in %d days"
msgstr[0] "Avertissement : votre mot de passe expire dans %d jour%.2s"
msgstr[1] "Avertissement : votre mot de passe expire dans %d jour%.2s"

An expiration message is fairly an "important" one so I think it could
be good if we provide something complete for lenny.

Then in post-lenny work, I can offer to work with you on remerging
l10n with upstream, including bringing the changes we made
Debian-specific back to upstream's l10n if that's needed (the fix
which adds a space after password prompts in Spanish is fairly
important, I think).

Anyway, do you agree, Steve, for me to maintain a round of translation
updates, eventually only focused on debconf stuff (#473975, #483913)e?

That would then include a call for translations for debconf stuff at
the minimum. Then a summary by /me (or direct commits in the packaging
repository, if you prefer) and then an upload by /you.