Re: Intent to NMU pam to fix pending po-debconf l10n bugs

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 08:07:07PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:

> The pam Debian package, which you are the maintainer of, has
> pending bug report(s) which include translation updates or fixes
> for po-debconf, namely bug number 470096 (and maybe other similar bugs).

> Even if we're still far from the release of the next Debian version,
> letting such bugs sleep in the BTS  is simply lowering
> the chances that your package interaction with its users may be done
> in something else than the English language. It is also not
> encouraging for translators.

> I have the intention, as part of a more general action of the Debian
> i18n Task Force to build and possibly upload a non-maintainer upload
> for pam in order to fix this as well as all pending translations
> for the debconf templates.

> Of course, an upload made by you would even be better...:-)

Bug #470096 is a bug regarding an upstream translation.  You can NMU for
this if you like; my current policy is to not add at all to my upstream
patch load for pam because I'm lagging behind upstream releases (thanks in
part to their insistence on using CVS) and already have a significant number
of patches that need to be merged, so I will probably ignore this NMU
altogether (as opposed to acknowledging it) as I continue to work on the
upstream merge.

So the best way to ensure that this bug remains fixed is to make sure this
patch gets applied upstream so that it's available when I merge from there.