Re: [WikiVote] Translation Namespace Policy

2008-01-11 (금), 14:32 +0100, Jacob Sparre Andersen 쓰시길:
> Clytie Siddall wrote:
>
> > I would prefer a translated page-name, but
> > I haven't seen UTF-8 wiki URLs yet, so in Vietnamese, we get dreadfully
> > messy-looking URLs like this:
> >
> > http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/C%C3%A1ch_d%E1%BB%8Bch
> >
> > The pagename is simply:
> >
> > Cách dch
> >
> > or "how to translate".
> >
> > <sigh>
> >
> > It reminds me of the old ASCII days on Usenet, when we used to write like
> > this:
> >
> > To^i ra^'t thi'ch ddo.c nhu+~ng la' thu+ cu?a ba.n. Tuy nhie^n, to^i kho^ng
> > the^? hie^?u lo+`i gia?i thi'ch ve^`...
> >
> > although that's actually easier on the eye than the Wiki pagenames.
>
> Is there any good reason for not transcribing URL's into the
> URL character set (less than full ASCII), rather than
> putting lots of hexadecimal codes in the URL's?
>
> Besides that the transcription is language specific?  Or
> maybe that is bad enough in itself.

Because in wiki, each page URL represents its page title. And localized
pages have localized titles.

Such transcription won't be nice for non-latin-script languges. It's
like an English document with its title in Cyril alphabets.

--
Changwoo Ryu <cwryu@debian.org>