Re: [WikiVote] Translation Namespace Policy

On 07/01/2008, at 10:28 AM, Franklin PIAT wrote:

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 00:46 -0200, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)
wrote:

On 05-01-2008 19:11, Salokine wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

	Thanks for you work on this.
Thank you. I hadn't finished it yet though.

Thankyou for putting so much work into it. I haven't seen this done in other projects: the first person to do a translation often ends up making the de facto choice for page-name structure.

This is a much better way to do it.

I voted for:

wiki.debian.org/fr/Hardware

I chose the lower-case language code, because that is how it commonly appears in filenames, for example.

I would prefer a translated page-name, but
I haven't seen UTF-8 wiki URLs yet, so in Vietnamese, we get dreadfully messy-looking URLs like this:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/C%C3%A1ch_d%E1%BB%8Bch

The pagename is simply:

Cách dịch

or "how to translate".

<sigh>

It reminds me of the old ASCII days on Usenet, when we used to write like this:

To^i ra^'t thi'ch ddo.c nhu+~ng la' thu+ cu?a ba.n. Tuy nhie^n, to^i kho^ng the^? hie^?u lo+`i gia?i thi'ch ve^`...

although that's actually easier on the eye than the Wiki pagenames.

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n