Re: (forw) Google Summer of Code 2007 - mentors and project ideas wanted

In article <[🔎] 20070318181105.GA27462@pluto.sol.de> you write:
>On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 05:36:52PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>
>> It's fairly heavily frowned upon; it might mean that different
>> architectures get different translations (for example), and we really
>> don't want that happening.
>
>That's a very good argument. But there are nevertheless solutions to
>this: It would be possible to use the package version as argument to the
>helper script. The first call during a package build on a architecture
>could save the translation files <==> package version mapping and
>further requests return the saved files.

Hmmm, maybe.

>Do you have other arguments? I think a way to automate translation
>updates could simplify the necessary steps for maintainers which is a
>good thing ...

Agreed, but there are issues that need thinking through. Maybe an
extra debhelper command that could be run *manually* by the maintainer
before running the build would be best.

I've heard suggestions in the past that a better way of handling
translations would be to somehow link them into packages later on
after they're put into the archive. But there are issues with that
too, and I don't think it has got anywhere beyond the idea stage.

"This dress doesn't reverse." -- Alden Spiess