Re: (forw) Google Summer of Code 2007 - mentors and project ideas wanted

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 05:38:29PM +0400, Aiet Kolkhi wrote:
> I guess we would need a system that would stay synced with repositories and
> the language administrator would have the ability to "commit" the final
> translation of a package, in which case the translation would be
> automatically reported against the corresponding package, or be committed to
> repository.

Probably this was discussed already (but I do not remember):

It would be preferred if an updated translation is handled without
action from the maintainer. First of all a few do not like dealing with
translations, other forgot it, it fills the BTS with not very important
entries, ...

Why not automate it? Whenever a new package is build (maybe only on the
autobilders?) a debhelper tool could request all translations from the
i18n server and update existing ones. This makes at least for native
Debian strings (debconf templates) sense. For other upstream messages a
specified action could be choosen such as sending a mail, a commit to a
version control system, ...

Once there is no new package upload after a significant progress in
translations, a reminder could be send to the package maintainer. The
maintainer should also be able to set a "pending" flags on the i18n
server for his packages if he has good reasons not to upload soon.

Jens