Re: status of DDTP and ftp mirror synchronization?

On 16-12-2007 04:45, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 10:23:50AM -0200, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) wrote:
[...]
>>  * When we upload a new file "removing" a translation, how would we
>>    remove that from the archive? byhand-ddtp should take care of that?
>
> Uploading a set of translations for unstable will replace /all/
> the translations for unstable, IMO. So if you have some new Turkish
> translations you have to re-upload all the old Spanish translations
> even if they haven't changed -- if you don't, we'll assume Spanish is
> no longer a useful language and will drop translations for them.
>
> So, yes, byhand-ddtp should take care of that, afaics.

	Ah, ok, that's what I was imagining but was unsure about that.
So, once I got your feedback about the package and the script I think
we can move to the next steps and bit adjustments (specially because
the paths on ftp-master are not entirely clear for me). Thanks.

>>  * We were concern about the version format system, but I think the
>>    package is not going to appear on the archive,
>
> That's largely correct. You can use a different package name / version
> format if you have a better one. You can also upload a source and binary
> package if you think that's useful (it is for debian-maintainers, eg).

	Some translators and other projects seems to have interest in
having access to all the translations, but since it is just a repack
of the original tarball to fit the BYHAND upload, IMHO, I don't think
it is necessary to provide a binary, if somebody else would think it
is interesting, then I probably would bother you again to get help on
implement and upload both binary and source ddtp-translations. :-)

>>  * Can we close bugs using debian/changelog like on a normal package?
>>    Because we could close #431891 when this upload happens. :)
>
> Yes, afaik that works fine.

	Nice.

>> 	I also tried to implement the check of allowed uploads, but
>> it seems that it needs to be done on archive side, I don't have the
>> necessary understanding of projectb to implement that, but we would
>> like to restrict who can upload the new translations.
>
> Why would you want to do that? Tag uploads aren't restricted, eg, nor
> are glibc uploads. Why are translations more special than either of those?

	Sorry, probably that was just my misunderstanding of how the
autobyhand works, the package would be under the same rules of all
other packages in Debian (keyring check and so on), so if it was
upload by someone else it would be considered an NMU, for some reason
I had the impression that it needs to be checked apart. Sorry, now it
is clear that dak will threat ddtp-translation as a regular package,
it just don't go to the archive as a binary .deb.

	Thanks for all the info and help on this.

Kind regards,
- --
Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)