Re: getting translated description of packages through apt

Am Mittwoch, den 24.10.2007, 10:42 +0200 schrieb Gerfried Fuchs:
> 	Hi!
>
> Am Dienstag, den 23.10.2007, 14:00 -0200 schrieb Felipe Augusto van de
> Wiel (faw):
> > 	The support is added to apt since 2006 and should show
> > up in libapt-pkg-dev, IIRC aptitude and synaptic got package
> > descriptions translated without needing anything special from
> > their maintainers.
>
>  There though is neither a documentation in apt on how to define which
> package translations to download nor a documentation how to _disable_
> downloading package descriptions. Given the no-quality-but-quantity
> approach and the non-working proofreading of the DDTP and translations
> getting locked afterwards with no informations on how to fix severe bugs
> that got through this "great" proof reading phase (of course, everything
> anonymous, quite possible that some people push their translations in
> through that) it is just a pain for very many people in the german area.

You know that last time this topic came up on debian.user.german (the
intended audience of such translations), the *vast* majority of
participants did *not* agree with you! I didn't bother to count, but
from my memory, it was a 3/4 majority. If you disagree, please point me
to the factual data.

> Where the apt localization itself is pretty nice, and one was able to
> convince people to give the German localization a try, the non-existing
> quality in the package descriptions are completely working against that
> and people start turning off any German localization at all again.

#people < 10 individuals, at least accordingly to the archive of the
user list.

Would you please stop representing your minority opinion as some sort of
consensus.

> So, is there a documentation somewhere available (appart from UTSL) how
> to disable getting translated package descriptions? Mails about the
> problem to the team got unresponded so I don't really see any other
> approach to the issue, sorry. :/

Which team do you mean? Apt's or the translators?

	Thomas