Re: [DDTP] Japanese encoding (Re: [DDTP] French encoding?)

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 01:46:15AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> For the record, I second Junichi's POV.
>
> On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 02:59:25PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > All the same, UTF-8 is the standard, so we translators should be
> > > using it or working towards it, don't you think?
> >
> > Changing the mail interface from EUC-JP to UTF-8 is still disruptive
> > to daily operation. It might be an idea for the longer term, but it
> > doesn't have to happen right now.
>
> This may be non-issue already.
>
> As I read the web documentation on mail interface, it already seems the
> user can chose encoding of his choice by sending encoding explicitly.
> Like ja.UTF-8 instead of ja.  Web interface is UTF-8 or any if you have
> good browser anyway.  (Somehow, I have not got reply mail yet from DDTP
> to which I sent for testing mail.)

Thanks for your words. The ddtp use utf-8, only the user interface can
use a other encoding. The default encoding for ja is 'euc-jp' at this
time.

I can change this to utf8.

> I have some idea for smooth transition.  The transition data is sent out
> as gzipped attachment file with extention such as
> data-<packagename>.utf-8.gz if that does not destruct many.  This is
> safer.
>
> The main text should tell easy way to open it with popular editor under
> any configuration, e.g.,
>
> $ vim "+:e ++enc=utf-8 data-<packagename>.utf-8.gz"
>
> Emacs example may be helpful.
>
> > On the other hand, the translation data fed to apt, apt already
> > expects it to be utf-8, and we're feeding it EUC-JP, which is
> > completely broken right now.
>
> I agree.  We should serve UTF-8 data for this.  We have control over how
> they are used and it has been UTF-8 as I understand.

I has been und it should be UTF-8.

file www/debian/dists/sid/main/i18n/Translation-ja
www/debian/dists/sid/main/i18n/Translation-ja: UTF-8 Unicode English text

check it yourself: http://ddtp.debian.net/debian/dists/sid/main/i18n/Translation-ja

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  - a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
Ist es nicht jedem selbst überlassen, ob er einen Arbeitsplatz