Re: Standard way to mention copyright holder in PO files

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 07:11:41PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> Hello,
> On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 11:36:16PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Helge Kreutzmann <debian@helgefjell.de> wrote:
> > > Yes. There is no public domain in Europe. [...]
> >
> > Hello debian-i18n, this is England calling!  As I understand it, we
> > have a public domain (so the above "there is no public domain in
> > Europe" is not true, same as the cannot-assign-copyright is not true
> > in all Europe), but there is no tried-and-tested current way to put a
>
> Yes, sorry, my mistake. I meant "continental Europe" (and probably
> even there might be corner cases), but probably there are lots of
> treatise (EU anyone?) so IANAL and better cease to discuss this.

This is not true for your notion of "continental Europe" either. Might be for
Germany (IANA German L) but it is certainly not the case for France and
Spain. Please do not make claims related to (c) law in the EU if you are not
aware of the legislation in other countries. Speak of Germany, if you will,
but overgeneralization without knowledge or proof will lead to

a) confusion to people less knowledgeable that you in the mailing list
   that read your mail first
b) spanking from people that have research (c) law in the same mailing list
   (with the intent to prevent a)

So, in the future, refrain from making broad claims without a base to stand
on (so we can prevent both a) AND b))

Regards

Javier