Re: Standard way to mention copyright holder in PO files

Hello,
On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 09:57:53AM -0500, Ming Hua wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 09:49:06AM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 08:54:08PM -0500, Ming Hua wrote:
> > > What about the translations whose copyright is transfered to FSF (which
> > > is acutally quite common, either due to explicit request by FSF, such as
> > > all the TP translations, or due to careless translators just using the
> > > default header generated by gettext) or (in Debian's case) SPI?
> >
> > I guess you can't code around careless users, you can just provide a
> > default which will be in a way desired by non-careless users.
>
> I agree it's hard to code around careless users.  But that doesn't
> really answer my question, which is about what to do when the copyright
> holder and the translator is not the same person/entity.

At least in Europe the copy right holder (for the translation!) is
always the translator. Though the translation is IMHO a derived work,
hence he cannot arbitrarily choose a license. For a definitve answer
in your legal domain, you'll have to proably ask on debian-legal or in
a country specific forum.

> Yes I have heard about this.  Does that mean public domain is not a
> really valid concept in such countries?  (I realize this is a legal
> quesiton and is probably off-topic on debian-i18n.)

Yes. There is no public domain in Europe. Thats why the (C) part is
superflous here - you (the author) have automatically the copyright.
But, in some cirumstances, you'll automatically transfer all rights to
use the work to some other person, e.g. your employer. But still, he
mustn't make additional copies (unless allowed by you) or modify your
work (again, unless allowed by you). For example, if you engage an
artist to create a picture of you, you can use it as you like, but you
cannot modify or destroy it. But please note: IANAL!!

But I guess this thread rather belongs to debian-legal.

Greetings

           Helge