Re: contest dependeded meanings for yes and no

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 06:05:32PM +1030, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> Hi Praveen, thanks for raising this point. Sorry I couldn't respond
> to it before.
>
> On 05/01/2007, at 12:11 AM, പ്രവീണ്‍‌|Praveen wrote:
> >
> > I would like to know how other teams have solved the issue of
> >context-sensitive meaning for 'yes' and 'no'. For example when we
> >have different translations for yes/no choices depending on the
> >question like
> >
> >do you have it?
> >is it correct?
> >do you want it?
> >
> >each will have a separate 'yes' and 'no'.
>
> So does my language.
>
> Q. "Do you have it?" (implies "yet")
> A. "Already" or "Not yet"
>
> Q. "Is it correct?"
> A. "Correct" or "Incorrect"
>
> Q. "Do you want it?"
> A. "Yes" or "No"

According to "info libc", the following expressions should be allowed:
yesexpr "^([aA][lL][rR][eE][aA][dD][yY]|[cC][oO][rR][rR][eE][cC][tT]|[yY][eE][sS])"
yesexpr "^([nN][oO]|[iI][nN][cC][oO][rR][rR][eE][cC][tT])"

In this case, I would however recommend to use a shorter form since there
is no ambiguity after the first char:
yesexpr "^[aAcCyY]"
noexpr "^[nNiI]"

I assume there may be some languages where one of the YES forms starts with
the same character than one of the NO forms. In that case, a longer regex
could be useful.

Of course, the long form force the user to type more than one character.
But any application that checks the answer with rpmatch or regex should
succeed.

There are probably some applications which assume there may be only one
char, but I would say they are not internationalize the right way, and
should be fixed.

> I am unsure how useful it would be to modify our locales' LC_MESSAGES
> files to include the other answers. Mine currently has:
> ___
> ^[yYcC].*
> ^[nNkK].*
> ___
>
> which covers the abbreviated "Yes" and "No" in both English and
> Vietnamese. I don't know if adding the longer forms, plus the extra
> forms,
> ___
> ^[yYcCYesyesCócóRồirồiĐúngđúng].*
> ^[nNkKNonoKhôngkhôngChưachưaSaisai].*
> ___

No, the regex is not right. It should be written:
^([yYcC]|Yes|yes|Có|có|Rồi|rồi|Đúng|đúng)
and
^([nNkK]|No|no|Không|không|Chưa|chưa|Sai|sai)

(brackets means a choice between some characters, and parenthesis with
bars (|) means a choice between a sequence of characters).

And thanks Clytie for demonstrating a language with a YES form (Có)
starting with the same character than a NO form (Chưa) ;)
So [cC] is not correct and shorter regex should work:
^([yYrRđĐ]|Có|có)
^([nNkKsS]|Chưa|chưa)

Clytie, do you have a way to test it?
Otherwise, I will test it later.