what i18n team? was: [Draft] Request for translation updates in Debian packages

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote: [...]
> I perfectly understand that this may be a little more difficult for
> people who didn't participate in such events to define themselves
> with regards of what seems to be a self-appointed group of persons. I
> guess this is what's behind your words (and partly those of MJ Ray who
> seems to not support the concept of an i18n team in favor of a more
> generic and vague terms of "contributors").

Why not ask me what is behind my words, rather than guessing?
I'm here, I read lots, I don't killfile that many people.

"Contributors" may be generic, but it is not vague.  I started using
it in early 2004 because it was more *accurate* than writing about a
debian-legal "team" or the mailing list.  debian-legal has no formal
power and no decision-making process of its own - like i18n? - and I
doubt there's any chance of getting everyone involved to agree on one.
So, it's rather difficult to support any claim that anything is a view
of the "team" or the list.

I think I took "contributors" from licences like the MPL which say
things about people who have no formal relationship with the other
authors, except that they worked on the software. People may have
noticed that some debian-legal readers attack imprecise wording,
whether it matters or not, especially if they disagree with basic
opinions and want to use poor wording as a smoke-screen to slow the
discussion.  So, I had a bit of an incentive not to use misleading
terms like "team"!

[...]
> And, just to be clear about it, I would of course define you guys
> (Jens, MJ, Holger, many others I forget here) as part of the i18n
> team...just because you participate here in the list and you already
> contributed significantly to the i18n/l10n efforts in Debian.

Yuck.  Freedom of association - the freedom to choose whether or not I
join a team - is important to me.  You may remember that once it
became clear that DUS was a business whose methods I disagreed with, I
spent months persuading them to stop claiming developers were
involuntary members: for example
http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2005/09/msg00035.html

I had no idea that writing and reviewing a few translations meant that
I was joining any team besides the debian-l10n-esperanto language
team.  What is this i18n team?  What does membership of this team
entail?  How are team decisions made?  Can I work on i18n without
joining this team?

> Anyway, for what is worth, I've personnaly felt like being part of the
> D-I "team" even before meeting up with Joey and the other guys [...]

I am unhappy with the way the D-I team currently varies its rules on a
person-by-person basis.  Please don't try to make i18n more like D-I.

> (we could of course use funnier alternatives like "i18n crowd", "i18n
> junkies")

Sure, why not?  This is an internal communication, so let's have fun.
Make sure you flag the joke clearly, please:
E-mails and egos http://www.apa.org/monitor/feb06/egos.html

Regards,
--
MJR/slef