Re: [Draft] Request for translation updates in Debian packages

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 10:45:46AM +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> Please review this e-mail, I intend to send it to d-d-a "soon"

Hi Javier,

thanks for your work.

> On behalf of the Debian Internationalisation team members I would like to

I do not like such usage of "Debian Internationalisation team". I have
seen this more and more often in the last time (also for other teams)
and it sounds elitist to me.

 How to become a member? What contract do I have to sign? How often do I
 have to meet members in real life?

Just use:

"On behalf of all the people interested in internationalisation in Debian"
"On behalf of the debian-i18n@lists.debian.org" list"

> bring to your attention the fact that there are some popular packages that
> have had (po-debconf) translations submitted for them and are sitting on the

Skip po-debconf. It's also valid for upstream translations which should
be forwarded to upstream. As long as these are ignored upstream they should be
added the the Debian package.

> As we are on 'freeze' now and one of the things DDs *can* do during the
> freeze is to upload new translations (or translation updates), we would like
> to ask all Debian Developers to please upload all translations or translation
> updates available in the BTS as soon as possible.

A stupid question but do we need to contact debian-release first?
Otherwise they could be confronted with really many requests.
On the other side release managers could add additional rules if this
happens.

> We wold be really happy if all the Debian Developers made uploads to try to

s/wold/would/

> Javier Fernandez-Sanguino

No accents in your name :-?

> [1] Full list is of l10n bugs is:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=tag&data=l10n&archive=no&version=&dist=unstable&pend-inc=pending&pend-exc=pending-fixed&pend-exc=fixed&pend-exc=done&include=l10n
> (unfortunately, it's not easy to group by package or sort by popularity
> without doing some perl-foo)

This page needs a long time (several minutes) until it is displayed.
Maybe add also a mirrored file?

> [5] There are 1274 l10n bugs (412 of these over a year old, ~800 with a
> patch) and 600 of the total follow the [INTL:xx] format so they are most
> probably po-debconf translations which are waiting for inclusion.

Again: "so they are most probably po-debconf translations" is wrong.
Use: "follow the [INTL:xx] format and are waiting for inclusion"

> You can find all the culprits with:
>
> $ wget "http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=tag&data=l10n&archive=no&ve+rsion=&dist=unstable&pend-inc=pending&pend-exc=pending-fixed&pend-exc=fixed&pen+d-exc=done&include=l10n"; -O - | \
> grep "http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg="; | \
> perl -ne 'print $1."\n" if /pkg=(.*?)\;/' | sort | uniq -c |sort -nr

Is "ve+rsion" correct or remaining from a copy and paste operation via
mutt? I doubt that "+" is valid.
Maybe a (via crontab?) generated version on an simple external HTML page
would be useful.

Jens