Re: iso-codes/iso_3166/fi.po translation from GNU TP?

On 12/12/2006, at 7:49 PM, Tapio Lehtonen wrote:

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 07:54:59PM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:
Tapio Lehtonen wrote:
I was surprised to see that iso-codes/iso_3166/fi.po translation seems
to come from GNU Translation Project now. If the translation comes
from GNU TP from now on, the debian translator of the file should be
informed of this, and maybe remove the file from Debian SVN.

This particular file is well suited for GNU TP, since the translated
contents should be the same in all Linux distributions. It's just that
translators would be pleased to know about these kinds of
developments.

It has been all the time without any problems that I know of. Note that Debian
SVN is kind of upstream SVN...

According to translators there has been problems for a long
time. Since the translation has been done at two places, and the
translators did not know this, buggy translations have been
re-appearing.

The translation that came from GNU TP to Debian, contains spelling
errors. This made the current Debian translator angry, since her
translation was up-to-date and correct. The GNU TP guys, on the other
hand, have complained about incorrectly marked fuzzy strings coming
from Debian. But this, I suspect, was a long time ago, since I can't
find the bug report they made about it.

Anyway, I still propose: the iso-codes should be translated only at
GNU Translation Project.

I am willing to accept also translating only at Debian. Essential is,
that translating at two places stops.

Shouldn't this all be arranged with the maintainer for iso-codes?

I was originally translating iso-codes via the TP, but once I started translating the Debian Installer, it made sense for me to translate iso-codes as part of Debian. So I arranged that with the maintainer (Alastair McKinstry, at that time: I've CCd this mail to him).

But I notice that nothing has changed at the TP end. Perhaps we need a definite arrangement for each language, whether iso-codes is translated at the TP or at Debian.

It would be useful if this arrangement/log could be updated. For example, if I no longer had time to translate iso-codes, and another translator took on the job, one who didn't work on D-I, it could make more sense for him or her to do the translation via the TP. So we need to be able to update the info.

Or simply base the translation at the TP OR Debian. No ambiguity.