Re: iso-codes/iso_3166/fi.po translation from GNU TP?

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 07:54:59PM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:
> Tapio Lehtonen wrote:
> > I was surprised to see that iso-codes/iso_3166/fi.po translation seems
> > to come from GNU Translation Project now. If the translation comes
> > from GNU TP from now on, the debian translator of the file should be
> > informed of this, and maybe remove the file from Debian SVN.
> >
> > This particular file is well suited for GNU TP, since the translated
> > contents should be the same in all Linux distributions. It's just that
> > translators would be pleased to know about these kinds of
> > developments.
>
> It has been all the time without any problems that I know of. Note that Debian
> SVN is kind of upstream SVN...

According to translators there has been problems for a long
time. Since the translation has been done at two places, and the
translators did not know this, buggy translations have been
re-appearing.

The translation that came from GNU TP to Debian, contains spelling
errors. This made the current Debian translator angry, since her
translation was up-to-date and correct. The GNU TP guys, on the other
hand, have complained about incorrectly marked fuzzy strings coming
from Debian. But this, I suspect, was a long time ago, since I can't
find the bug report they made about it.

Anyway, I still propose: the iso-codes should be translated only at
GNU Translation Project.

I am willing to accept also translating only at Debian. Essential is,
that translating at two places stops.

--
Tapio Lehtonen
tapio.lehtonen@iki.fi