Re: iso-codes/iso_3166/fi.po translation from GNU TP?

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 07:54:59PM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:
> Tapio Lehtonen wrote:
> > I was surprised to see that iso-codes/iso_3166/fi.po translation seems
> > to come from GNU Translation Project now. If the translation comes
> > from GNU TP from now on, the debian translator of the file should be
> > informed of this, and maybe remove the file from Debian SVN.
> >
> > This particular file is well suited for GNU TP, since the translated
> > contents should be the same in all Linux distributions. It's just that
> > translators would be pleased to know about these kinds of
> > developments.
> It has been all the time without any problems that I know of. Note that Debian
> SVN is kind of upstream SVN...

According to translators there has been problems for a long
time. Since the translation has been done at two places, and the
translators did not know this, buggy translations have been

The translation that came from GNU TP to Debian, contains spelling
errors. This made the current Debian translator angry, since her
translation was up-to-date and correct. The GNU TP guys, on the other
hand, have complained about incorrectly marked fuzzy strings coming
from Debian. But this, I suspect, was a long time ago, since I can't
find the bug report they made about it.

Anyway, I still propose: the iso-codes should be translated only at
GNU Translation Project.

I am willing to accept also translating only at Debian. Essential is,
that translating at two places stops.

Tapio Lehtonen