Re: Deactivated languages

On 21/11/2006, at 2:46 AM, Eddy Petrișor wrote:

This small "optimisation" would start from the assumptions:
- someone choosing language A spoken in countries X,Y and Z would see only the
country names X,Y and Z translated in language A
- if you live in country W you are likely to know (at least) the name of the country as written in at least one of the (official) languages spoken in W, so if you choose language B (not official in W) you will be presented with list of countries in which B is official (exactly like now), but if you choose "Other" a list with all countries in the official language (s) present
there (something like in the example below):

Deutschland
מְדִינַת יִשְׂרָאֵל
Italia
România
Росси́я
United Kingdom
Việt Nam

This is a workable idea. :)

Christian asked:

So, how will you write "India" ? Or "Belgium" ? Or "Switzerland" ?

We'd still be saving space, even if we allowed several versions of one country, e.g.

Deutschland
מְדִינַת יִשְׂרָאֵל
Italia
România
Росси́я
United Kingdom, England
Việt Nam
Suisse, La Svizzera, Die Schweiz

because so many countries do only have one language represented in Debian.