Re: DDTP, PO format and the future Debian i18n infrastructure

Thomas Huriaux <thomas.huriaux@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> (04/08/2006):
>> So, now, the DDTP is something that gives results...good.
>>
>> However, the current translation process (the mail interface) is a bit
>> different than the usual way translation teams are working. For
>> instance, this explains why the French effort is currently mostly
>> stopped for the DDTP.
>>
>> What would be good now is getting an interface with the PO format so
>> that translators can work on PO files for DDTP translations.
>>
>> Grisu, before we get the nice infrastructure (probably based on
>> Pootle) which we will discuss in Extremadura, do you think that some
>> crude way to get PO files for the DDTP would be possible ?
>>
>> That requires writing something that will convert the Debian
>> descriptions and their translations to PO format. IIRC, Otavio did
>> write some stuff already, 1 or 3 years ago.
>>
>> Maybe a po4a module would be possible.....this should be checked with
>> "Mr. po4a", namely Nicolas François (and his fellow co-maintainers:
>> Thomas Huriaux, Martin Quinson, etc).
>
> I had a look on this issue a few weeks ago, and intltool-debian seems
> to do already exactly what seems to be needed.
> To summarize: just mark the "Description:" field as translatable (i.e.
> prepended with an underscore), and you can use tools such as po2debconf
> and debconf-updatepo.
> The resulting PO files look like this one:
>   http://haydn.debian.org/~thuriaux-guest/ddtp/a2ps/po/templates.pot

Long time ago I wrote a utility to merge the translation files. Do a
look it.

Using it you can reuse previous translations  and then generate po
files using your hack :-D

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116