Re: Locales and D-I Manual

On 6/4/06, Clytie Siddall <clytie@riverland.net.au> wrote:
Hi everyone :)

Hello,

Overall, I was looking for the appropriate Vietnamese locale to set.
That should be a UTF-8 locale for Vietnamese, either vi.UTF-8 or
vi_VN.UTF-8. I'm looking in /usr/share/locale — is that the correct
location?

vi_VN.UTF-8 or any other name is just a symbolic name which will not
have a file counterpart on your system. At most there will be a vi or
vi_VN file.The connection between the long name and the actual locale
is made by glibc internals.

On a Debian system you can enable and configure a locale by installing
the locales package and selecting it in the debconf dialog (if it
doesn't appear, you can run later "dpkg-reconfigure locales")

I myself am running Mac OSX, which is a UNIX (BSD) base, and my
system doesn't have any Vietnamese locales at all ! Which surprises
me, since all the options included in a locale (keyboard layouts,
timezones, time formats, money formats etc.) are available in the OSX
GUI for Vietnamese. (Maybe I _am_ looking in the wrong location?)

Probably on OSX the locale information is somewhere under /System or /Library.

As Miroslav said, you can see the whole locale list
/usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED, but you won't need that to set the locale.

--
Regards,
EddyP