Re: Wordforge, Pootle, GSoC, Debian

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 07:18:33AM +0700, Javier SOLA wrote:
> Michael Bramer wrote:
>
> >I like to setup a pootle test server (cvs version) for the translation
> >of the debian package descriptions.
> >We have >10000 pot-files for the debian package description. We will
> >get >180000 po files with the 18 languages.
> Grisu,
>
> This is a very interesting challenge.
>
> So far we have thought of a hierarchical structure of files in Pootle. For example, We can have
>
> Folder Debian
>     Folder French
>         Folder Debian Installer
>              Folder level 1   ------ po files
>         Package descriptions
>     Folder Khmer
> Folder OpenOffice
>
> Having 10,000 packages without structure (in the same folder)
> requires a different type of interface, we cannot just list all the
> files in a folder and show their percentage of translation, or
> calculate on the fly the total percentage of translation in the
> folder (search 10,000 files), we have to specify an interface that
> will allow the users to go directly to a specific package, or to a
> partial listing that contains that package. Or maybe I am wrong and
> there is a structure?

yes, we need some structure. We use in Debian something like
this in general (per Source-package):
 a/
 b/
 c/
 d/
 l/
 liba/
 libb/
 libc/
 libz/
 m/
 z/

see http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/ as example

is it a problem to put the po/xliff files in this structure and
generate the stats per subdir and a overview?

maybe something like this:

 - Folder Debian
    - Folder Debian Installer
       - Folder level 1
          - pot/po files (all languages)
       - Folder level 2
          - pot/po files (all languages)
    - Package descriptions
       - a
          - a2ps-perl-ja
	     - pot/po files (all languages)
	  - a2ps
	     - pot/po files
	  - ...
       - b
       - ...
    - NEWS
       - a
          - a2ps-perl-ja
	  - ...
    - ...

IMHO this is a the structure, that we should use for all package based
translations in Debian.

maybe some counters:
  - 10000 base source packges with >1 Description
  -   800 packages with a NEWS.Debian files [1]
  -   900 packages with debconf templates files [2]
  - 58000 man pages [3]
  -  3200 debian web pages [4]
  -   800 normal po files [5]
  -   ??? debian manuals/guides/...
  -   ??? info pages

and we have 13-65 languages ... This is a lot of work and we will only
start with some of this. But the new system should handle this work in
the future.

> Also, it might be interesting to wait until Pootle is working
> internally with XLIFF files (next month) to test it, because then we
> will have a very clear idea of the real performance, and this will
> point very clearly at what needs to be improved (or modified). The
> present version (0.9) uses PO internally. The new one will use XLIFF
> internally, but will allow download and upload of PO files that are
> generated on the fly from the XLIFF file, or merged into the XLIFF
> files.

ok, nice.

When ist 'next month'?  1.6. oder 1.7.2006? :-)

Did you have a timeline?

[1] $ zgrep -i  usr/share/doc.*/NEWS.Debian /var/cache/apt/ftp.de.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_Contents-i386.gz  | wc -l
     885
[2] $ grep Depends:.*debconf /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.de.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages  | wc -l
     908
[3] $ zgrep man/man[123456789]/ /var/cache/apt/ftp.de.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_Contents-i386.gz | wc -l
     58844
[4] http://www.debian.org/devel/website/stats/
[5] $ w3m -cols 200 -dump http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po/fr | grep % | wc -l
     853

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -- http://www.feuerwehr.kreuzau.de/wiki/
"Auf die Frage, ob verurteilte Mörder nicht wieder in unsere