Translation owner (was: Slides from the Debconf6 2nd BOF about i18n infrastructure)

Translation ownership and rights is one the things that we will have to think most in the specs, as this might change a lot from team to team. We have not yet specificed much about this in WordForge

There is one traditional path of localisation that is usually followed in proprietary software and content (translate-review-approve), but it not at all unique. In this case the committer is the "approver", but in some others the translator is the committer, and the reviewers are only consulted.

The jobs (in the translation team side) seem to be clear (please add to the list if you can think of more): translator, reviewer, Translation Manager (approver?), terminology manager.

The rights or permissions can also be defined (committing, uploading, approving new terminology, etc...).

What we need to specify are the translation processes that we have to be open to, and - in each one of these processes - which rights are given to each participant.

A flexible application would allow a team to chose a process, assign rights to each type of participant and to decide which type of participant can delegate rights (admit) other types of participants. Should only the Translation manager allow new people in?... or can a reviewer accept new translators?... or a translator accept new reviewers?. There are a large number of things that need to be left open, in order to be very flexible.

The system needs to be flexible... but have a lots of defaults for new teams or small teams not to get lost in customizing what they need.

Other parts of the specs are quite straight forward, or technical decision, but this is the one that will make the system acceptable to existing Debian localisation teams or not.

Javier