Re: Slides from the Debconf6 2nd BOF about i18n infrastructure

On Saturday 20 May 2006 15:05, Gintautas Miliauskas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > The slides we used during the 2nd BOF of Debconf about i18n
> > infrastructure are available at:
> >
> > http://people.debian.org/~bubulle/i18n/debconf6-bof2.pdf
>
> Great job.  It's already a bit difficult to keep everything in my head,
> I just want to get started with the backend and see how things work
> out ;)
>
> I am still not sold on the 'translation owner' idea, I think that would
> be too rigid.  Of course, this can be made configurable.

the concept of 'translation owner' is central to the way
(debian)-translation works:
- translation is not an exact science and personal elements like style do
  come in to it
- having lots of people directly messing with 1 translation is just not a
  good idea as it produces mixed style translations (kinda how wikipedia
  articles often aren't al that cohesively written, even though all the info
  is there)
- a review comments coupled with sane orphaning/hijacking procedures really
  give you all the good points of people being able to contribute easily,
  without the headackes of different people directly messing with the same
  translation
- having more then 1 translator isn't all that necessary for most
  debian-specific translations (a single debconf-po file with more then 100
  strings is uncommonly big, and the few bigger translations like apt, dpkg
  and aptitude, don't move all that fast)
   NOTE:  this might very well be different for big translations of program
          interfaces especialy when the program development, and amount of
          updates needed moves fast
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)