Re: Applying to be DD part 2

Thijs, thankyou for your mail. :)

On 09/04/2006, at 7:58 PM, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:

Both on that page and in the developer's reference, it's explicitly
mentioned that when there's a problem with getting your key signed, you can contact the Front Desk and they will work out an alternative way of
establishing your identity.

Yes, that's helpful. :)

Some things to consider:

1) You don't need to have your key signed when you start the process, only
when you end the process. So apply now *and* contact the FD about
identification at the same time. These two processes can perfectly
function in parallel.

Ah, I didn't know that. It's a checkbox, so it looks like you have to have it fulfilled to proceed. Thanks for pointing that out, Thijs. :)

2) Get listed as looking for signatures, both on the GPG page aswell as on biglumber.com. Having your key signed by other people in the web of trust
is already a lot better than no signatures at all.

I have all the trust that a good arrangement can be made with the front
desk, but it helps a lot to be as active as possible yourself.

Very true. I've done both those things, so I hope my activity will help create some results. :))

By the GPG page, you mean the NM GPG page? If so, I have done that. I've registered as looking for a signature, and I've emailed <gpg- coord@nm.debian.org> asking for help with getting a signature.

I still think it's asking a lot to have someone come up here, but maybe we can find another way. Then again, it is an interstate highway, so someone might be on their way from Adelaide to New South Wales, the Australian Capital Territory or Queensland, then they would go almost past my house. So it could work out. :))

It would be great to have the opportunity to meet someone in the project face-to-face. Being bedridden does isolate you a lot in that way. Computing contact is a _lot_ better than nothing, and I can only very occasionally physically tolerate visitors, anyway, but it's very special when you can. :D