Re: Applying to be DD part 2

Thanks very much for your reply, Christian. :)

On 09/04/2006, at 3:58 PM, Christian Perrier wrote:

Cc: Jutta Wrage, Christian Perrier

Unneeded, at least for me. I read -i18N, you know..:-)

True, but I didn't know if you had time to read _everything_. ;) Sometimes people like to get mail separately if it concerns them. I'm very happy not to send extra mail, though. :D

It is a very common joke that the best way to go through the NM
queue....is explaining that you want to be in Debian for being an
Application Manager...:-)

Yes, I can see this is a bottleneck due to lack of resources. I wonder if the process could somehow be modified to be effective, still, but without quite so much individual people-time required.

The Free Software Guidelines have no application to translators,
since we already specify the Free Software Foundation as copyright
holder of our translations. I will agree in theory to this, since I

I completely disagree here. There's nothing that enforces the use of
FSF as copyright holder in translations and no document of mine
recommends doing so.

My misunderstanding, sorry. Since my first major i18n project was the Translation Project, where we are required to sign a disclaimer up front, vesting all our copyright in the FSF, I assumed (from the number of PO headers here and in other projects which I see doing the same thing) that this was general.

If it isn't, how do we avoid copyright problems with translations? As far as I am concerned, I have signed my copyright in all FLOSS translations over to the FSF. It seems like a good idea, in general. Or simply always assigning copyright to the FSF (or SPI or whoever is nominated) in all PO files, would help.

We really don't have a policy on this? :o

I think that translators have to be aware of the DFSG as much as all
other project members are. DFSG is one of Debian foundation
documents. As a project member, you will have to vote about issues
related to DFSG (see http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001 for
instance).

I'll be very happy to do so. I have views, as above. ;) I'd really hate to see squabbles over copyright of translations inhibit our work, and thus restrict its effect (access).

I'm bedridden, too ill to travel for some years now. I live 250km NE
of Adelaide in South Australia.

This discriminates actively against very ill/disabled people. How on
earth am I supposed to do this? I don't even know any DDs in
Australia, much less anyone in my state, or anyone in my small
regional community, many km from anywhere else. Good grief! :(

Unless we can find a way to deal with this situation, that's the end
of my application right now. :(

Certainly not. We all agree that this is discriminating against
isolated people (think about people living in countries without any
DD, and for who travelling is not an option). However, this is also a
very strong point of the Web of Trust.

There are many solutions to this situation:

-find a DD that goes through your place and signs you rkeys. Sure,
Australia is very big but there are 54 registered DD there. Even
though there might be none in your place, there are maybe some in
Adelaide, ready to travel the 250km to your beautiful palce

None on the list shown at the key-signing page, but I hoped there might be someone in Adelaide.

 Among those 54 and, even though not all are mentioning their street
 address  in the DD database, I find at least one in South Australia
 living in a place named Parkside. After discussing with our beloved
 new DPL, this place seems to be in Adelaide.

Parkside in Adelaide, nice suburb. :)

However, it's a bit rough to expect someone to travel this far just to squint at my driving licence. If that DD is willing to do so, I would appreciate such effort enormously, but it seems like such a waste of time (and petrol, at its ever-rising price).

I can't be anyone else, because nobody would want to be in my situation. ;) However, that may not be a common proof in application for DDs. I'd better stick with the usual procedure.

-use another way to get your ID verified. In the past, when there were
very few DD (even in my country, where there are 64 of us now), the ID
was often checked with a phone call.

That's an idea, thanks. I do have difficulty with the phone, but I have a headset, and can manage very brief phone calls sometimes. (Email etc. can be done in bits, but live contact requires real-time function.)

Hmm, how about videoconf. of some kind? I have a webcam.

I bet that some would object that this is not a completely "safe" method.

This is true. My daughter has dropped the camera more than once. ;)

(Yes, I take your point. Again, God only knows why anyone would impersonate me, but I realize this has to work in the theoretical normal situation.)

Jutta has offered to help me with my application, which is very kind
of her. Christian, if you have time, I would also appreciate your
advice on this situation.

Here it is. I fully support your application

Thankyou. That means a lot to me. :))

and I think that, with
what I know from you, you can make it.

That also. :))

A lot will depend on how long it takes, and how demanding it is, and if there are time expectations. I've been lucky for some months now, with no long patches out of action, but I can get a lot sicker suddenly. Hopefully not for a while. :)

The "Tasks and Skills" part
will be interesting to watch but the previous threads have shown that
there is not strong opposition to an adapted T&S process when it comes
at people defining themselves as translators.

I'm glad to hear that, but I realize that since "pure" translators are unusual applicants, adapting the process may be a challenge for the people involved. I'll be happy to help, if I can.

My suggestion could be summarized to "play with the rules, not against
them".

Always. :)

I gave up biting when the illness took all my teeth. (Plastic ones, although hideously expensive, are no good for this, very frustrating really.)

PS: when it comes at my own application in the past, I did not go
through the NM process as a translator. I applied mostly as a
maintainer: I was maintaining the geneweb package for a few months at
that moment and I was very less involved in i18n. In short, you can't
take me as an example for a translator going through the NM
process..:)

Yes, I did wonder about this. Which brings me to the question: is there _anyone_ who has previously gone through NM purely as a translator?

I can see this is going to be a very interesting process. :)