Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:14:50PM +0900, JC Helary wrote:

> On 2006/04/05, at 20:37, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
>
> >JC Helary wrote:
> >>It is not a mistaken belief, it directly comes from:
> >>http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint
> >
> >It is a mistaken belief. That page is just poorly worded in this
> >regard, if it makes you believe otherwise.
>
> Poorly worded or not it is a status page. If the status does not mean
> what it reads then it must be reworded.

Well, yeah, that's exactly what Antti-Juhani is saying.

> >(Quote from the abovementioned page:)
> >
> >What that's trying to say is, applying for developership should not
> >be the first thing to do in Debian; there are a lot of things you
> >can do before you apply.  Nowadays, showing prior work is required
> >for an applicant to get anywhere in the NM process.
>
> I don't know what it is _trying_ to say.

Apparently not, but Antti-Juhani (presumably) does.

> I know what it says

And that is relevant, why?

If people say "your interpretation is not what it's supposed to say;
perhaps it's improperly worded, here's what we mean", you shouldn't go
around claiming that what they mean is irrelevant because the text says
otherwise. This is not law school ;-)

If people claim that the text is improperly worded, presumably they
agree that it will have to be changed. You might want to suggest better
wording, but don't start preaching to the choir -- that doesn't usually
fix the problem.

--
Fun will now commence