Re: Attempt to get a simpler setup of console fonts for systems installed by D-I

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 05:40:56PM +0200, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:

> >The conclusion is: the new "k" looks ugly to most
> >Cyrillic-users outside of Bulgaria and the
> >traditional "k" is perfectly normal for the Cyrillic
> >users in Bulgaria.
>
> The ka1 vs. ka2 question can be solved by a vote, but
> the next request will probably be to sync ghe.

Actually there already was a proposal to change the ghe. ;-)

However the problems (if they are problems) of "ka" and "ghe" seam to
have completely different character.  The currently chosen look of
"ghe" is simply a choice between two alternatives.  The font designer
decides which look serves the purpose of font better.

However with respect to the letter "ka" the two alternatives we have
to choose from are valid only in Bulgaria.  All Cyrillic users outside
of Bulgaria seam to be striken by the look of "ka" because it is a
novelty that they have never seen.  No books, no magazines, no
newspapers.

When I sent you CC of my message I forgot to give you enough context.
The current discussion was (more or less) initiated by a proposal by
Christian Perrier to use the Terminus font as a standard console font
in Debian for all Latin and Cyrillic languages.  And then came the
objections against the look of "ka".  Here are some of the messages
during the discussion:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2005/12/msg00041.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2005/12/msg00044.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2005/12/msg00045.html