Re: Attempt to get a simpler setup of console fonts for systems installed by D-I

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 01:16:41PM +0200, Ognyan Kulev wrote:

> I checked upstream mails and now it doesn't look so bad as I described
> it.  The problem with k is that such wrong fonts are used in books and
> magazines.  For example, upstream mentions PC World-Bulgaria and a C++
> quick reference book and says this makes tall k "100% legitimate".

This shape of the Cyrillic "k" is a relatively recent invention of the
Bulgarian font makers.  As far as I know it is never used outside of
Bulgaria.  Even in Bulgaria almost all books and newspapers use the
traditional Cyrillic "k".  The "modern" (so to say) "k" is used mostly
in the magazines, IT newspapers and IT books, various broshures,
adverticements, etc.

The conclusion is: the new "k" looks ugly to most Cyrillic-users
outside of Bulgaria and the traditional "k" is perfectly normal for
the Cyrillic users in Bulgaria.

Anton Zinoviev

P.S. I am sending CC to the upstream maintainer of the Terminus font.