Re: a couple of aptitude queries :)

On Monday 25 April 2005 02:18 am, Christian Perrier wrote:
> CC'ing aptitude maintainer (see the elegant way to do
> this...:-)). This is not exactly a bug report, this is why I proceed
> this way.
>
> Daniel, Clytie, is the currently hardworking Vietnamese translator and
> it seems that she's currently fighting with the huge aptitude PO file...:-)
>
> Quoting Clytie Siddall (clytie@riverland.net.au):
> > Hello everybody :)
> >
> > Here I am, picking my way carefully through the aptitude file, and
> > waiting for the funny questions. So I'll come up with a couple of my
> > own:
> >
> > 1. This string:
> > > src/cmdline/cmdline_action.cc:92
> > > "%s is already installed at the requested version (%s)\n"
> >
> > "at" is not used in this context: do we mean "with" or "as"?
>
> It always sounded strange to me. As Daniel Burrows, who maintains
> aptitude, is IIRC a native ENglish speaker, I think he'll be able to
> give a precise answer. I would bet for "with".

  I would consider "A is installed at version 3" to be just a different
phrasing for "version 3 of A is installed".  "A is installed with version 3"
is definitely nonsensical, but "A is installed as version 3" is a more
comprehensible (but still sounds odd to me).

  I don't know if there's really settled terminology for talking about
packages and versions, though.

> > 2. This string:
> > > src/cmdline/cmdline_prompt.cc:732
> > > "Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] "
> >
> > I've translated "Yes" and "No" separately in this file, but I haven't
> > yet seen a translation for Y and n. Does this mean I should not
> > translate this to the equivalent in my language? [C/k]
>
> I'm not good at reading code. I usually assume that, in such
> situation, the software is localized as well and uses gettext stuff,
> hence allowing you to translate this as well.
>
> Reading the relevant code does not make this obvious for me. Daniel?
>
> In the french translation, this has NOT been translated.

  Not every prompt has its replies properly translated, and it looks like this
one is one such.

   switch(toupper(response[0]))
		{
		case 'Y':
		  rval=true;
		  cont=true;
		  break;
		case 'N':
       .
       .
       .

  I suppose that the gettext-friendly solution is something like

  char ch=toupper(response[0]);

  if(ch == _("Yes")[0])
  else if(ch == _("Dcmdline_prompt_response")[0])

  The contortion there is because I have no idea what the proper translation
of D (for dependencies in English) is. I'm afraid to re-use a translation of
Depends, because for all I know Depends and Yes might be translated to start
with the same letter (I wasn't even sure about reusing the translation of Yes
in this pseudocode).

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <d.burrows4@verizon.net> -----------------\
|          "Oh my god!  The entire map is written in GIBBERISH!"            |