Re: Aptitude being cryptic

On Monday 25 April 2005 08:25 am, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> I'm thinking of investing in a crystal ball... :)
>
> > src/pkg_columnizer.cc:486
> > "HN too long"
>
> HN in this case being...?

  As with a lot of the more cryptic errors, this one is generated in
circumstances that shouldn't occur: it means that your hostname is more than
255 characters long.

> I'd also like to check the size of the column headers (cc:353, 353,
> 357, 359, 361):
>
> Imp, Req, Std, Opt, Xtr
>
> which I've translated in extremely abbreviated fashion as:
>
> Imperative, Required, Suggested, Optional and Extra

  Those are the Debian package priorities: Important, Required, Standard,
Optional, and Extra.  dselect uses the same abbreviations, so you might be
able to lift a translation from it.

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <d.burrows4@verizon.net> -----------------\
|             "The ubiquity of the term "extremist" in U.S.                 |