Re: Poedit bug #232625 (was: Re: Spellchecker for poedit)

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:44:35 +0100
barbier@linuxfr.org (Denis Barbier) wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:44:14AM +0100, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> [...]
> > Well I can have a look at it, but to be sure I get what you want;
> >
> > The problem is that lines that start with #. should not be treaded
> > as comments.
>
> Right, they are automatic comments, like fuzzy markers (with "#,") or
> line numbers (with "#:").
>
> > Ideally you would want a extra field which displays this
> > information.
>
> Yes, if you look at the sources of the gettext program, you will see
> that messages have a field for source comments (tagged by "#.") and
> another one for translator comments ("# ").  PO editor authors do not
> seem to look at these sources, it sounds very strange to me.
>
> > Would it also be ok for you to have them silently ignored (but kept
> > in the file of course). In the files I translated these lines
> > usually show the field type, which is usually not that interesting.
>
> Dealing with only one type of comments is certainly much simpler, but
> then source comments should IMO be displayed.
> Did you find valuable translators' comments? ;)

IIRC some po-debconf files seem to have some hints to the translator in
#-comments. Well maybe I remember wrong and they were actually in
#.-comments.

> When translating into French we try to follow Christian's Debconf
> Templates Style Guide
>   http://people.debian.org/~bubulle/dtsg.txt
> and thus knowing the templates type is important; e.g. descriptions of
> boolean or string templates do not follow the same rules.

Hmm, okay...

Well either way, it can't be that difficult. I'll have a look at it
later this week.

grts Tim