i18n of termwrap (Re: i18n of tasksel (and cdebconf))

Hi,

From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
Subject: Re: i18n of tasksel (and cdebconf)
Date: 27 Aug 2003 00:25:47 +0200

> The selected language is passed into stage 2, and the required locale
> should be generated, and the needed terminal emulator / configuration
> should be enabled by /usr/bin/termwrap.  I've tested it for a few
> languages using UTF-8 and ISO-8859-{1,15}, but not for Japanese.

I read the file of termwrap in base-config CVS and found that
it supports only UTF-8, ISO-8859-{1,15}, and EUC-JP.  For example,
I think it should support ISO-8859-2 and KOI8-R.  Also there is a
bug report (#206347) that it should support ISO-8859-13.

Since console-tools are useless for Japanese, I don't know how to
configure Linux console to display these encodings.  Do anyone
know how to?  I would like to improve termwrap to support them.

Also, I would like to ask that whether it will be valuable for
termwrap to support Chinese and Korean?  (I guess it is possible
by using jfbterm just as Japanese, with additional fonts.)

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/