Re: Conference at debconf on i18n/l10n: ideas? suggestions?

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 03:44:40PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> I don't require Debian developers to master i18n programming.  I think
> it is apparently too heavy.  However, I want Debian developers that
> there exist such problems, so that when they received bug reports or
> patches related to i18n, they understand what the reporters are saying
> and how severe the problem is.  It is like that security is not Debian-
> specific problem but every Debian developers should know at least basic
> concept of security, though I agree that I18N is less important than
> security.

I absolutely agree with this view.

> I imagine the last screenshot of my debconf webpage or screenshots from
> my "mojibake" webpage:

It's nice to know what "mojibake" is.

> http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/mojibake/
> will help developers feel the severity of the problem and the situation
> where Asian people are located.  I hope people who see the screenshots
> will understand why CJK people says "translation is a relatively small
> topic in i18n area".

Yes. I've been through the pages and get your point precisely. I will try
to add some of the screenshots and make some of your points at the
conference.

> Thus, please don't hesitate even if you don't master encoding issues.
> If there will be some technical details, I think the point is that
> developers should not depend on assumptions which are valid only for
> a part of languages (such as "one character is one byte", "words are
> separated by whitespaces", and so on).
(...)

I will add these examples.

> BTW, the descriptions in intro-i18n get older and older these days.
> I have to revise....

Yes, that would be nice since I guess that would help very much the
understanding of this issues in Debian. Could you also please translate
the debconf mojibake page [1]. I did read the discussion in i18n about
encoding for debconf and the screen captures are very enlightening but I
would like to know what were you trying to get across in the web page.

Thanks for all the information

Javi

[1] http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/mojibake/debconf.html