Re: Coordination with GNU Translation Project

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 05:11:28PM +0900, Changwoo Ryu wrote:
> Claus Hindsgaul <claus_h@image.dk> writes:

> > >     Changwoo> The maintainers don't release a new version just to
> > >     Changwoo> incorporate an updated translation.
> >
> > Actually, the result is that very few upstream releases contain complete
> > translations. E.g. most GNU-tools are only released, when new features or
> > fixes has been made -- often adding new strings. This happen without further
> > notice, so all the translators can do is to have the updated po-file pending
> > for the next release (wich possibly contain even more new stings).
>
> Not really.  The Translation Project sends "New PO file..."
> notification mail to the translation team list, in every time when the
> maintainers submit their updated .pot file, usually a few days before
> its release.
>
> If the translators couldn't update their PO files till the releases,
> it's their faults in the first.

Well ok, it's the translators' fault. So what ? Once we say that, we don't
have any new solution. And you seem to forget that translators are
volunteers, too.

As translator, I can say that a few days are far too short. I have to update
my work, then to ask for a review of my work, wait for it, incorporate the
review in my work, and maybe ask for a second reviewing round...

I agree that the translators should update their work quickly when a new
release comes. But we still have to find a solution for when the translators
were too slow. Why not doing a new release a month after the main one to
incorporate all translations ?

Bye, Mt.

--
Un clavier azerty en vaut deux.